ollege scholarships for weightlifting are limited. However, there are a few lucrative opportunities, including these:
Arnold Sports Festival Columbus Rotary Scholarship
Number of Weightlifting Scholarships: 1
Age Eligibility: 10 – 25 years old (age on Dec. 31)
The Arnold Sports Festival is held annually in March in Columbus, Ohio. The festival brings together talent from a number of sports including gymnastics, archery, strongman, powerlifting, and weightlifting. The event includes exhibitions, competitions, and sport demonstrations by elite athletes. During the festival, college scholarships are also awarded by the Columbus Rotary Club to ten youth athletes (ages 8 to 18).
Of the ten youth scholarships awarded annually, one weightlifting scholarship is awarded. The youth weightlifting scholarship is handled by the Columbus Weightlifting Club. According to Mark Cannella, head of the Columbus Weightlifting Club, an eligible applicant must:
- Compete in the Arnold Weightlifting Championships.
- Be 10 – 25 years of age on December 31 of the year of the competition.
- Demonstrate positive-impact involvement – in the complete sense – consistent with capacity and circumstances and/or significant improvement/success in scholarship and community involvement.
For information on registering for the competition and scholarship, visit arnoldsportsfestival.com. Registration begins in the fall of the year prior—generally between late August and October.
Wendy’s High School Heisman Award
Amount: $1000 to $10,000
Number of Scholarships: 100
Age Eligibility: High School Senior
The Wendy’s High School Heisman Competition recognizes students with a high level of athleticism, a commitment to good grades, and strong leadership skills. The scholarship is not specific to weightlifting, but weightlifters are eligible to apply. To apply, an individual must:
- Be a high school senior
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or better
- Demonstrate leadership within school or community
- Participate in a sport recognized by the International Olympic Committee or the National Federation of State High School Associations
The following prizes are awarded annually:
- $1,000: Awarded to 1 male and 1 female from each state
- $5,000: Awarded to 5 male and 5 female National Finalists
- $10,000: Awarded to 1 male and 1 female National Winner
National Finalists are also invited to attend a banquet in their honor in New York City free of charge.
Finally, approximately 1,000 students will receive a $10 Wendy’s gift card simply for applying. So, even if you don’t win, you can fuel up for your next training session with a couple of free cheeseburgers. For more information on the scholarship, visit Wendy’s High School Heisman website.
A handful of universities also offer weightlifting scholarships to students attending their schools. Scholarship recipients may receive tuition assistance and help with room and board. The universities that have weightlifting programs registered with USA Weightlifting are: